What’s the best day in the whole year in L.A.?
Trick question – the best day happens once a month EVERY SINGLE MONTH! (The second Sunday of every month to be exact.)
Rose Bowl Sunday is basically a holiday for me – and the best day of the month. Almost all of my friends have been dragged to it at least once, and ALL of them have found something amazing among the hundreds of flea market stalls. It’s the only reason I will ever get out of bed early on the weekend, and BOY do I get up early! You have to if you want to beat the crowds and find the best goodies.
You can find everything at the flea market from lenses and jewelry to airplane models and naked mannequins. My favorite area is the fashion side which in the past year has changed from ‘whatever we found in the back of the truck’ to ‘legit vintage finds’. (Found just this year – pearl bib necklace, knee-high moccasins, Coach bucket bag, fringe leather jacket.)
No matter what you’re looking for I can almost guarantee you’ll find it at the Rose Bowl. It may take a few hours of sweaty searching, but it’s always worth it!
Tips for a successful flea market adventure.
1. Bring lots of water (or a water bottle filled with mimosas) as well as something to soak up your gross sweat.
2. Don’t wear your best clothes, and carry a purse you don’t really care about. (And don’t forget to bring a reusable bag to carry all your fun finds!)
3. Wear shoes that don’t rub – avoid flip flops because of the dust.
4. Bring SMALL bills so it’s easier to negotiate. (I usually bring about $120 in $1, $5 and $10’s)
5. Wear a hat. (For some reason I find wearing a hat makes flea market searching much less stressful – distracting things can be blocked out with the brim and you can hone in on what you’re looking for better.)
6. Have some idea of what you’re looking for, and be open to new finds.
7. Smile and have fun!